Pages

Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

January 7, 2011

Second Birthday Play-by-Play

Thanks to my friend Jenny's twins being born one week prior to A and B, I got to copy her brilliant idea of a "birthday play-by-play" last year. And I had so much fun, I decided to do it again this year!

What's a "
birthday play-by-play", you ask?

Well, I like to think of it as a snapshot in time. I take a gazillion (or more accurately, just over 200) pictures on the girls' birthday. I jot down as much detail as I can during the day...what time the girls got up...what they had for breakfast...who said what...where we went...and what we did.

I would love to be able to keep this up in the years to come, and have what I imagine will be a pretty awesome account of a "day in the lives", year by year.

So, without further ado, and with apologies upfront for the picture-heavy post...

I present to you the girls' Second Birthday Play-by-Play!

7:30am: Good morning to my beautiful birthday girls! When I said, "Tell Sissy 'happy birthday'," they did in unison...so sweet!


Morning snuggles with "tiny baby dolls".


7:45am: Downstairs in the den, the girls discovered their new couch. Here you see them giving it the "crawl and climb" test.


8:15am: Mommy made a very special breakfast that included French toast. "Hey, it's not Sunday morning!" the girls must have thought. "This IS going to be a special day!"


After breakfast, the girls made themselves at home on their new couch. They snuggled with their various dolls and doggies and looked at some books.


Even on their birthday, there was still work to be done in the kitchen. :)


11:00am: We met Aunt Shanda for lunch at Garcia's. Aunt Shanda was there when the girls were born...and we have to make a point to see her sometime during our special day every year!


12:15pm: Home from lunch. The girls piled back up on the couch and admired their new puppy doggies from Aunt Shanda, along with their shiny silver purses (not pictured). :)


3:30pm: After naptime, Miss Jennifer (a very sweet college student who has helped me with the girls a couple of times) stopped by. She brought the girls magical microphones, which they've since discovered make singing the ABCs even more fun!


5:30pm: Mommy made one of the girls' favorite dishes, shrimp scampi with mushrooms, over wild rice. They cleaned their plates and asked for seconds. Mommy finally had to say no when they asked for thirds...they didn't know they needed to save room for CAKE!

The girls have sampled plenty of sweets, but this was the first time they ever got an actual serving of a dessert...for themselves...with ICE CREAM. The chocolate molten lava pudding cake and vanilla ice cream were a hit!


After supper, the girls got to open their gifts from Mommy and Daddy, two books each. I'm guessing by the looks on their faces that A asked B, "Hey, what'cha got there?" And B said, tearfully, "I don't know! I can't open it...Mommy uses too much tape!"


6:15pm: We enjoyed some cuddle time with our new books on our new couch before it was time to go upstairs for one last cup of milk.


7:15pm: Every night, after we drink our milk, we put on our night-time diapers, read a bedtime story, and snuggle with Daddy.


7:30: Mommy sings a silly little song..."Let's brush our teeth and wash our faces, and then we'll go to bed and say our graces!"

Happy birthday, Baby Girls!We are so very blessed!

9 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I love so many things about this post - the play by play, the bibs (!), the looks on their faces with the french toast - anticipation and glee, snuggles with mommy and daddy, and mommy's "silly" song.

Kids do love silly, don't they?

I have a new game with Connor now that he can run - I chase him all over the house and the giggles are TOO precious!

Andrea said...

Awwww.....you brought tears to my eyes!!! What a wonderful day! I absolutely loved all the pictures! As you know I am a picture person with very few words! Ha! Those microphones are awesome. Molly has one too. Of course that means Luke joins in the fun too! I am so happy that your girls had such a fun day and a Mommy that documented so well.

Unknown said...

I love it! How beautiful. I can't believe they are 2 already. I love the Birthday play by play, it's a fabulous idea. Congrats to you on making it to the 2 year mark. It keeps getting better.

Anonymous said...

yea! happy birthday. what a fun idea. wonder if i'll remember come september? :)

and...i noticed the spoons and bowls. good job, mama!! xx

Cuz I'm the mama! said...

Wow!! What a beautiful day!! They both look sooooooooo happy!! I loved reading aboout their special day. Happy birthday to the ladies and major congrats to you and your husband on two amazing years!

Tracy said...

Happy birthday girls!!!! You have a pretty special mom!!!

Unknown said...

chocolate molten lava pudding cake??? I am seriously salivating. Was it easy to make? We're doing Adam's bday party next weekend and I'm not sure what I'm making yet....recipe??

Sounds like a perfect day! Oh...and shrimp scampi? YUM!!!

What a great way to document their special day!!

Rebecca said...

Too cute! At first I thought you were out of your mind, but it really is cute! I'd love to have a birthday that you're in charge of...good food, good presents, and great company!

reanbean said...

I'm so glad to read and see what great fun you all had on A's and B's birthday! The photos are great, and they'll be such a fun way to look back on each birthday as the girls get bigger.